Subject: Re: UKNM: Easy connections
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 14:45:39 +0100

Stefan Magdalinski <stefanatisness [dot] org> wrote:

>Hello? Have you *ever* bought anything from Dixons group? I agree that
>freeserve is well-designed, well-executed, and a brilliant coup, but
>Dixons are a terrible retailer with little incentive to get better
>because they have an effective monopoly on the UK market in electrical
>goods.

Just because Dixons employs people in their stores who have trouble getting
out of bed in the morning doesn't make them a terrible retailer. Dixons is
one of the best retailers at merchandising electronic products (selling lots
at high prices), but like that other successful company News International,
they make few friends. But I did not say I thought their new service was
great. I haven't looked at their offering yet so have no opinion on the
subject.

>The primary thing Dixons are trying to do is *avoid* helping new users.

You are right, and this is their big mistake. They obviously let Planet
dictate the policy here. All trad ISPs see customers as a problem to be rid
of at all costs.

>My fingers are crossed that online retail puts Dixons out of business,
>or at least forces them to charge reasonable prices and provide much
>better service.

More likely online retail will help Dixons to close some high-street stores,
increase their margins, and revalidate their retail business model online.

The thing about lousy shops like Dixons' is that you can always walk into
another shop down the road. With UK ISPs, they are all crap (at least until
recently) so there is no point going to any of the others.

>You're lucky I didn't tell you my "trying to buy a CD-player story".

I appreciate your restraint, Stefan. The thing to do is to learn by your
mistakes and not patronise Dixons again. I try to avoid them myself, no
doubt for the same reasons :-)

Incidentally, I am planning to launch a brand new ISP service early next
year that will allow consuers to dial into the Internet on a freephone
number, no monthly charge, unlimited access, free unlimited technical
support via 0800 number, and we will give away a free digital TV set to all
new subscribers. Anyone interested in investing in this project please let
me know.

Ray Taylor