Subject: Re: UKNM: Re : Customer retention.
From: Fiona Campbell-Howes
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 11:41:03 +0100

Kevin, I don't think it's down to the technology in itself - I buy a lot of
stuff and register for a lot of things online and the thing that puts me off
the most is bad usability and design, without a doubt. The way registration
forms are set out for example, is irritating in 90% of cases. Especially the
ones that say zip code, make you put in a county when you live in London,
only offer you "Mr, Mrs or Ms" as titles, make you scroll down to U for
United Kingdom etc. etc. Little niggly things by themselves but really
annoying when you have to sit through it all at once. I find that alienating
for sure - it's like "we don't care who, what or where you are, we don't
even know what country you live in, but give us your details so we can send
you loads of spam."

Then on the other hand you get things like Amazon's one-click buying, which
is great.

Satan's own technology, however, is IVR. There's no excuse for IVR at all,
it must be the greatest technological source of customer rage in existence.

And the final thing is companies that have totally separate call centre and
e-commerce operations. [warning: long whingeing anecdote ensues] I tried to
register with Next Directory on the Web, keyed in all my details etc etc,
only to be told at the end that for some reason they couldn't perform a
credit check on my address. So I phoned up the call centre and explained,
was told I had to register again, so gave them all my details again and
ordered some stuff. The stuff didn't turn up, so I phoned them again and
found they had no record of me existing. Turned out that this was because
they'd spelled my name wrong when registering me the second time. So I had
to register my details a third time. All this despite the fact that they
should have had all my details, spelled correctly, from where I registered
myself initially on the Web. Now that *is* crap, customer-alienating use of
technology.

Rant over.