Subject: UKNM: RE: Taking your baby to the boss
From: cuppa
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:22:48 +0100

Hi all

I wonder if anyone has first or third hand experience of something like
this.

You work for a company serving telecom operators. And wholly in your spare
time (really!) you develop a home page that you fondly imagine might become
�"big thing" sometime - but anyway it helps you do your day job a little
better.

It grows like topsy and becomes a resource for people who might have paid my
employers for this information. It starts getting quite a few visitors, all
from high profile companies my employers would like to do business with.
(Even
a top 20 listing on Yahoo! "3g UMTS" = key words)

I say to my boss -"... have look, what do think ?".
"Bloody good, let�s fold it in our (company) web site".
"S�cuse me. This is mine. And we can talk about how your company could take
an
interest in mine". :-)
A moment of silence.
Then "..lets talk about it tomorrow" - the chat never happens.
In fact the next day, my employer�s lawyers are crawling over my web site.
The weekend and today has come and gone. My boss has been silent.

Question: Should I be worried? Any advice welcomed. Interested in hearing of
anyone else that has effectively given their employers first refusal on a
dot.com idea/protoype. What happened next ?

Thanks
Steve

the3Gportal.com (my web site) and not my employers (ha!)

There is no proprietary info from my employers or gathered during my day job
on the site, btw.

The biggest, best Chinwag Networking party...ever...
**27th September 2000** put it in your diaries now
RSVP to http://www.chinwag.com/uk-netmarketing/party.shtml
To sponsor the event email spareanychangeatchinwag [dot] com

generously supported by...
*** DoubleClick *** http://www.doubleclick.net
The leading provider of comprehensive global Internet
advertising solutions for marketers and Web publishers.