Subject: Graphic Distortion and Afterburner Javascript
From: steven warren
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 21:27:27 +0100

I've been noticing some weird graphic artifacting in my SWF files. Here's
what I've noticed:

If you look at the Zoecom site: http://www.zoecom.com, at the bottom of the
page there is a navigation bar done in Flash. In particular, look at the
"in the press" button. This is where you can see that the 45 degree
diagonal line is not perfectly straight. There are other artifacts we can
see, but that is the one we're looking at for perfection.

In the Flash document it looks perfect.

When you export a SWF file, the graphics deteriorate. Even with the highest
quality JPEG compression, AND even with lossless compression turned on.

This is not an issue of sizing on the html page... when you view it at 100%
in the SWF player, the artifacting is still there.

I've noticed that the buttons *being symbols* have something to do with it.
If you pull the graphic straight out of the Library without making it a
symbol, the graphic survives the export in perfect health. The minute you
turn that graphic into a symbol and export again, it's crummy looking.

Now our buttons *must* be symbols, because a button *is* a symbol. But I
need to make it look perfect. Does anyone know how to fix this?

One other question: When I process these files through aftershock, and it
creates the imagemapped GIF files, they too are ugly and dithered looking.
Do we have any palette control or is there another way to get the GIF files
to look better?

We're also doing another big site that relies heavily on Aftershock to
reduce the amount of work that goes into the project. I could re-create all
the gif files using Photoshop, but that sort of defeats the purpose of
aftershock, doesn't it?

Oh yeah, while we're on the subject of aftershock, ANOTHER question... The
Javascript that Aftershock creates, that detects the browser state
(Flash/Java/GIF) occurs in every usage of a Flash movie. Isn't there a
better way to detect the browser state once (like on our opening screen),
then have the browser know that through the rest of the site? I don't
really want to use cookies, but I also don't want to create multiple html
files either.

-evilsteven