Subject: Re: Suggestion: On how to reduce file size.
From: Lane Allen
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 11:25:31 +0100

At 04:00 PM 4/17/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Kumusta Everyone !
>
>I have currently finishing work on a site ( non commercial ) and for
>navigational purpose I have chosen to use Flash. As a rule of thumb I
>have tried to keep all files small, less than 20K. And I have almost
>succeeded, 3 html pages is greater than 20K. But my navigation menu is
>my main concern, this file is 29.8K.

I really don't see a problem with the file sizes. 29.8KB is
very nice. Once you start getting closer to the 100-80KB mark,
then I would worry.

>When using a T1 line as I do ? this is no problem. But since I
>will add some more sub menus ? the file will grow to more than 30K, and
>this is what I am trying to avoid. Does anyone have any suggestion on
>how to achieve this? - Any comments are welcome !

If you are talking about a Flash file, then you should optimize
your vector art (under the Modify menu). Try optimizing
to bring down the file sizes, and try to stick with one font.

>I have with great luck used Fireworks. Before I used
>Adobe Photoshop 3.0. But I found out that if I scanned
>an image and saved it to a .tif format I could then use it direct from
>Fireworks ? and by doing so, the files become smaller than if i went via
>Adobe Pothoshop.

Adobe is about to release a program called ImageReady
that looks/feels/acts like Photoshop but purely for
outputting Web images. It has animating features and
a lot of other wonderful things. I like Macromedia products,
but I am an Adobe *freak*, especially Photoshop, and
ImageReady is just my style.

>An other example on how I have used macromedia products successfully is
>for my banner. Originally I created an image using Adobe Photoshop -
>610 * 80 pixels, and the size ended at 9K. Hmmm... small I thought -
>WRONG !
>I decided on trying to create the same image using Flash ? 610 * 80
>pixels. BINGO...new size = 3K

Well, if you are using vector art compared to bitmapped images,
I should hope so. It all comes down to preference, I like Fireworks
if I am working with vector style artwork, but I will use Photoshop
and ImageReady most of the time for other things.

Lane

Lane Allen : lan3atprototyp3 [dot] com : Visual Designer
P R O T O T Y P 3 : www.prototyp3.com