Subject: Re: An emergency - my life depends on it!
From: Warren Payne
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 1998 16:26:19 +0100

Jonathan

This might not be what you want to hear, but I sometimes think that the
detection stuff can be a bit buggy, and that the only really safe way is to
either to assume that the user knows whether they have Flash or not and if
not get them to click the download button, or display a small Flash movie on
the home page - if they can see it, they have Flash and can proceed, if not
they need to download it.

Maybe I'm just lazy, but its what I do at our site (http://www.action.com )
and I haven't had any complaints about it. I'm currently considering using
the Smart Shockwave stuff, but at the moment it doesn't work perfectly - the
only thing the usually does is a plain ole' hyperlink to Macromedia!

Warren

PS I'm not American, but even us guys in the UK can sometimes help people
too!!