Subject: Re: Installing the New Netscape over with IE4
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 20:16:01 +0100

At 9:38 AM 4/23/98, Bryan Wilhite wrote:
>Have any of you had any problems installing Netscape Navigator with IE4
>already installed. I am hesitant to do this because I think Navigator or
>IE4 will do "vicious" things to each during the install.
>
>If there are no problems installing Navigator with IE4, will there be any
>trouble installing both Shockwave ActiveX controls and plugins?

I'd ditto Les's "go for it!" recommendation. It's very important to be able
to test in various viewers as you go along, and using multiple browsers
will save you time and money in the long run. Netscape and Microsoft
browsers can sit on the same machine without incident.

The only incompatibility I know of is between IE3 and IE4 on Win95/NT.
These install different versions of system extensions and cannot be used
together. If you have an old clunker PC then this is a good candidate for
the IE3 testing. Other people have partitioned their workstations with a
dual-boot setup, and run one IE version in each session. (I've also heard
some mention that they use 16-bit IE3 and 32-bit IE4, but I haven't
confirmed that solution myself.)

The ActiveX Controls and Netscape plugins will happily reside on the same
machine. You may wish to consider an alias or shortcut to a common plugin
folder so that all your plugin-using browsers have access to the same
engines.

I'd also second Les's comment on using the Opera browser. This is coded to
the HTML 3.2 spec and seems to play most Flash content well, and it's a
single check for a variety of minority browsers out there. More info at
http://www.operasoftware.com/ .

If you're seeking older Netscape browsers to add to your testing suite, then try
http://www.netscape.com/download/index.html?cp=hmp04sdow

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/