Subject: Re: sound streaming
From: Colin Moock
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:10:59 +0100

2 possibilities I can think of:
1) Use Flash 3. Would be fairly easy.

2) In Flash 2, if you're willing to exclude the Win3.1 and Mac 68K
audiences, you could use FSCommand to control the sound movie while
jumping around in the first movie. Just stack them both on one page,
then use "Get URL and Goto" to move the timeline in the first movie out
of the dancer scene, while also starting a JavaScript that points to a
frame in the sound movie with a "Stop All Sounds" action.

Your JavaScript would look something like this:

//FSCommand passes (command,args). We catch
//them to call this function and
//to specify which frame the sound movie
//should jump to. Saves hard-coding

function setbuttons(framenumber){

//Refer to the embedded movie as "soundmovie", set using
slightly different syntax
//depending on the browser.

var InternetExplorer = navigator.appName.indexOf("Microsoft")
!= -1;
var soundmovie = InternetExplorer ? window.buttons :
window.document.buttons;

//Ask Flash how much for the amount of the movie already
loaded.
var pl = soundmovie.PercentLoaded();

//Wait until the whole movie is loaded.
while(pl < 100){
pl = soundmovie.PercentLoaded();
}

//Now that enough of the movie is safely loaded,
//send it to the desired frame in the timeline.
//Use alert for testing purposes.
alert('Now setting buttons frame to: ' + (framenumber + 1));
bm.GotoFrame(framenumber);
}