Subject: Re: FLASH: UCON'99
From: David Mendels
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 00:02:33 +0100

Hi Mark,

I am extremely biased--not only am I from Macromedia, but this will be the
7th UCON I will attend, and I was responsible for several of them a few
years ago.

That said, I have no hesitation reccomending the conference to anyone who
uses our tools professionally. There is a huge amont of content,
opportunities to meet an incredible range of developers (and Macromedia
product managers, engineers, etc), a great atmosphere and it is in a great
city. We get really excellent feedback on the conference and we put a lot
of work into making it great. We also use it as a chance to get great
feedback on our product directions from our customers. I know the Flash
team is preparing already for their session on the future direction of
Flash, and we have a lot of sessions focused on Flash, Generator, and
related topics, from introductory hands-on training, to sessions on selling
Flash/Shockwave to your clients, to more advanced tips/techniques, to "late
night hacker sessions" where you can work at a computer with other
conferees, Macromedia employees, friends and share techniques or ideas. We
also have a sneak previews session which is a lot of fun and you can get a
glimpse of what the engineering teams are working on for the future, and a
great gallery of work done in our tools.

Excuse my unabashed enthusiasm...it is my favorite event of my professional
year, and I am really looking forward to this one---it has been 18 months
since the last UCON (prior to that they were 12 months apart, but we
decided to change from fall to spring) and this time Flash has come of age
and will be a much more significant part of the event that last time.

BTW, details at ucon.macromedia.com

-David

At 05:40 PM 4/19/99 -0500, Byer, Mark wrote:
>I'm considering attending UCON'99. What's the opinion out there, is it worth
>it? I've been to many conferences and sat through untold hours of one-hour
>sessions where the speaker assumed zero knowledge and handed out next to
>nothing of real take-away value. I've also been to conferences where I had
>to buy a new notepad every day. How does UCON stack up? The session titles
>and descriptions look very good. What're your experiences?
>
>-M-

David Mendels
Vice President and General Manager,
Web Publishing, Macromedia