Subject: FLASH: Re: samples now available (SWF in QT4)
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 19:46:05 +0100

At 9:33 AM 4/20/99, Wayne Townsend wrote:
> Is there any time estimate for QT4 to reach a decent market share?
> Inquiring clients will certainly want to know. Are there reliable
> figures for RealPlayer's current market share that you know of?

I'd defer to David for the full details, but this particular problem is
difficult to solve. There are various things that can be measured:

-- How many installers have been downloaded?

-- How many installers have been successfully downloaded? (ie, full downloads)

-- How many installers have had hardcopy distribution, and how many of
these might duplicate other installers on the same machine? (Getting unique
installer presence is difficult.)

-- How many of each version have been distributed? (This is the hidden
gotcha in many press releases, and the significance of versioning varies
among various players!)

QuickTime has the additional complication of requiring, not only a browser
plugin, but also a system extension... both must be measured for a
successful QT installation.

Best method I've seen so far is that done in the King & Brown survey for
Flash usage... this asks consumer-level web users whether they can see
specific content. This study got very good play in InfoWorld last week, and
you can get the source material (and survey methodology!) at
http://www.flash.com/survey/ .

patterns... there are many numbers discussed, but the most meaningful still
seem to measure actual functionality rather than mere distribution.

> Also, I heard that QT4 will not stream behind some corporate firewalls.

Believe I read this too... for details I'd defer to Apple's QT4 support
site (haven't checked it yet, believe there should be a discussion board or
such), or the regular QuickTime Developers Mailing list
(http://www.lists.apple.com/quicktime-talk.html).

jd