Subject: Re: FLASH: Movie Dimensions Consensus
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:54:04 +0100

Hi Larry,

> I want to get an idea of what dimensions you all use for movies
> meant for the web. Excluding pop-ups of course.
> I have used a proportion suggested to me by a developer
> 550 x 300 and now when I ask aftershock to exact fit it
> I get some ugly stretching and distortion. So I would like to know
> for the future what people are using to get nice proportions
> ccross different screens and browsers.
What I don't use is Exact Fit, since there is no one aspect ratio that
all browes open up to unless you do full screen there will always be
shape distortion for some people if you use Exact Fit in a regular
browser window.
At Flashcentral we use 1150x620 which is an Aspect ratio of 1.85 to 1.
550x300 is about the same at 1.83 to 1.
Full Screen is 1.33 to 1.
To determine the aspect ratio divide the width by the height.