Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash 4
From: David Mendels
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 02:34:30 +0100

At 10:48 AM 4/21/99 -0400, Eric Smollin wrote a whole bunch of things about
Flash 4.

Hi all,

As many of you might know, Macromedia (and most software companies) do
conduct alpha and beta programs with a number of customers throughout our
product development cycle. Those people are required to sign a
non-disclosure agreement--a legal document that requires them to keep any
and all information about such development versions of products
confidential. Clearly someone has violated that agreement, perhaps
(hopefully) inadvertently, but nonetheless this is illegal, unethical, and
damaging to Macromedia and our common interest in the success of Flash.

We are very excited about what we are working on with Flash. We do not
have a final version, and we are not ready to announce anything. The
information that was posted here (and on FlashPad, and elsewhere?) is
transient info that could possibly be in future versions--what is written
there may or may not be in the final announced version, and many things
that may be in the final announced version may not be written there. We
often experiment with things and speculate but do not include them in final
software, and we also often add things that may not be in a given
development build. The information was not intended for public distribution
and may be as misleading as it is interesting.

So may I ask that if you have been part of this thread or others on this
topic, regardless of whether you are part of our "non-disclosed" beta
program, that you refrain from redistributing or discussing what was
clearly intended as private information. I assure you when the time comes
(and we don't know when that is yet!) we will give this list all the info
we have and really look forward to engaging in a broader discussion about
future functionality in Flash.

I think for us as the developers of Flash, and you as Flash developers, we
share a common interest in its long term success. To achieve that, we need
to be able to maintain confidentiality about development builds until they
are ready to announce, and in this age of the the net it is very hard to
maintain basic privacy so I ask you for your cooperation.

Anyway, thank you for your support of Flash, and I thank you in advance for
helping us to quiet this thread and get back to discussions of Flash 3.

Regards,

David Mendels
Vice President and co-General Manager, Web Publishing,
Macromedia

PS. No, I am not going to comment on the questions about 3D in future
versions of Flash at this time -;)

David Mendels
Vice President and General Manager,
Web Publishing, Macromedia