Subject: Re: FLASH: 12-pt body text in Flash
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 01:12:33 +0100

Hi Hal,

> I know this was covered a few weeks ago, but what do you think is the best
> way to handle 12-pt body text in Flash? Been trying Gil Sans, Arial, other
> sans-serif fonts, but they all appear fuzzy on export (tried both aliased
> and anti-aliased). Suggestions appreciated.
The View > AntiAlias Text option is only for the authoring environment,
it doesn't affect the exported swf file.

Try Kerning your fonts adding space between characters, bold versions
may be more acceptable especially if kerned. This will not reduce the
smoothed edges but may make them more readable.

Verdana (a free font from Microsoft) gives better results than most at
small sizes especially when kerned (widened). Arial does fairly well
again if kerned.

DeviceFont only works for Win 95/98/NT and only if the exact font is
installed on the users computer. In my opion even then it doesn't work
well in Flash 3. Generally, just say no to DeviceFont.

If you use exact size for your movie's exported height and width and use
that same size in your HTML page you could use imported bitmaps for that
text.

In general if you site or a part of your site is so text intensive that
you need to use small fonts then HTML may be a better option.
Alternatively, make your font sizes slightly larger so they no longer
appear fuzzy and put less text on each page and use more pages to
present your message. Unless your page is for arts sake only, then
function (i.e. being able to read the text easily) should come before
style.