Subject: Re: OSX was: FLASH: Help! PC SWF crashing on the Mac
From: Chris
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 1999 09:43:33 +0100

Frederico wrote:

> These kind of RAM allocation/fragmentation issues will be improved with
> the about-to-be-released OS8.6 [woohoo!] with the new nanokernal, and
> from all reports, are generally eliminated under the preemptive memory
> manager in OS X Server, and thus should also be in OS X client (due end
> of Summer/Fall).

Sorry for the OT but,

I saw close up, the demonstration of OS X and found it quite awesome. The
Apple guy flipped between 8.5 and X just through the App Menu. "If an
application crashes [in 8.5] simply quit 8.5 and restart it, without
restarting the computer or OS X". Our Unix guy was impressed at how
smoothly it was integrated as a Unix machine ... for all those guys who
like to type in commands and read in code. Oh, and the whole time while he
was demoing the OS, it was serving to another computer with the QT Server
component, streaming fullscreen video. I could just "feel" ease of use and
"pain-free computing" emmenate from the machine. The two fashion
statements at NAB were the new SGI machines and the Blue G3s .... oh, and
HDTV flat screens.