Subject: Re: FLASH: OT?: and why not swf a w3c standard?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 23:57:53 +0100

At 5:17 PM 4/9/0, Phillip M. Torrone wrote:
>the question or the chance to be on the board was too late i suppose, as
>the standard was already decided upon. that's what the editor of the
>standards doc from adobe said to me :]

(Sorry, that "OT" added to the front of the thread didn't let me filter by
subject to see your message on the previous reply.)

The actual SVG requirements page was set up before Macromedia published the
SWF format in 1998, true. But it was also before Adobe introduced the PGML
acronym for how they'd "bring vector graphics into the mainstream", and
long before these two formats and the Vector Markup Language format and the
handful of other vector specs were merged in workgroup into the eventaul
W3C SVG set of working drafts.

Rephrased, the SVG standard is still being decided... it's pretty close to
its final 1.0 form now, but SWF was open long, long before SVG reached its
present shape.

I hope that that was only a rough translation of what the Adobe staffer
actually said, rather than a literal quotation of how history is currently
being revised....

jd

flasher is generously supported by...