Subject: Re: FLASH: Tired of the patronizing
From: Michael Dunn
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 17:23:21 +0100

on 04.12.00 6.47a, Tom Green wrote:

> When Adobe demo'd the product at FlashForward the one thing that really struck
> me about the presentation was their inability to articulate just where it fit
> in with the general scheme of things.

I think where LiveMotion is, at least right now, is pretty much where
InDesign is. That product didn't put QuarkXPress out of business, even
though some of its features (text control, native psd support) were amazing.
I went to a seminar on that product and it was exactly like the demo of
LiveMotion at FF2K - lots of ooh-ahh features that the crowd went gaga for,
but the general consensus was "Yeah, but I'm not switching... yet." One of
the things you have to give Adobe credit for is that it doesn't sit on it's
laurels. They dumped PageMaker after trying to get it to compete with Quark
(it's now a business application) and introduced InDesign. It saw the
tremendous appeal and potential in vector-based internet design and created
LiveMotion.

Sorry to be long-winded... I think Adobe is maybe not hitting the nail on
the head every time, but at least they're trying. What if they came out with
a font creation program like Fontographer (which MM is no longer
supporting). Would you guys cry about that or hope it would stir MM into
bringing Fontographer back?
--
Michael Dunn

flasher is generously supported by...