Subject: Re: FLASH: Changing sound volume in Flash....Response.
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 20:08:18 +0100

At 05:27 PM 4/10/00 , you wrote:

>Earlier today someone was wondering if it's possible to control a complex
>the sound volume in Flash, because it is in Director. It is not, if you rely
>strictly on a Flash settings or variable. ;)
>
>It is possible to use the old fashion 'sound reinforcement' theory to get
>the job done.
>
>Depending on your needs, try this.
>
>Create a new layer(#2) and put the sound on the exact same keyframe as the
>original sound's layer(#1)
>Two layers playing the same thing increases the volume greatly. Don't worry
>too much about phasing. The web is not perfect enough to hear that clearly
>yet.
>
>Move the #2 layer's sound forward a frame to make it delay or echo.
>
>Marcus Williams
>Senior Micro Support
>Nielsen TV Ratings

Well, the echo effect is a cool idea. But as far as simply adjusting the
volume level, why not apply it to the original instance of the sound, using
the volume handles? I believe the original problem was how to raise and
lower the volume dynamically, and so adding the sound in another layer will
not achieve this because that's in effect from the time the first sound
starts, and if you jump to another frame with the sound doubled up, it will
start up again, creating a hiccup.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media
http://www.dartfrogmedia.com