Subject: Re: FLASH: BP - whats with the red squares? where's the picture gone? - NOW SOLVED! yay!
From: Ben Park
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 11:13:06 +0100

"Did you try opening the F3 FLA file in F4?"
Gregg Caines"

First thing I did - opened the old F3 file in F4, but it looks fine -
everything works perfectly.
Until you test movie, at which point everything turns to red squares.

Hooray tho!
I think I've found a pattern!!!

The first map was drawn in Paint Shop Pro, and I would select individual
islands in Paint Shop with the selection tool, and copy and paste them into
Flash. They would then be converted to buttons, or graphics depending on the
islands. I never used the trace bitmap facility. (Hey - it was the first
thing I made, and I hadn't read the instructions :)

Anyway I had a go at this again - same map file (paintshop pro image file),
copy paste into F3 works fine - if you then open the F3 .fla file in F4, and
test movie, it doesn't work.

Now, if you copy and paste the island from paint-shop straight into F4, and
test movie, it works. No idea why, but it works!
You can convert them to symbols, buttons, or leave them as they are, and
when you test movie - fine!

In fact - If I go back and open the original F3 .fla file in F4, and click
an island, and say break apart, it does nothing - if i say break apart
again, it disappears, and if I say break apart again, I get the red square.

I've just this second worked it out - I knew I would!!!

I had another file I had created using F3, which had a picture imported into
it, but the ones for the map were just copied and pasted in. That is the
only difference - the other F3 .fla file works fine in F4, so that can be
all it can be!

It's because of that. If I import the entire original map into F3, and save
the .fla file, then open it in F4 - no problems!

Not really any idea why it does this. Is it something to do with the fact
that F4 is looking for the original picture I copied it from, and F3 doesn't
do this? Is that it?

Although I just tested that tho, by copying and pasting an island in from
paint-shop to F4, then saving the .fla, and moving the original map image,
and it still works fine - even when I test movie.

So beats me why it does it, but it does do it. On my machine at least! Next
time, I'll import them properly. I don't wanna have this problem when F5
comes out.

Ben

P.S. - I'll be able to sleep at nite now I've worked that one out, and
apologies from me, for pestering everyone else, and then sorting it out
myself.

flasher is generously supported by...