Subject: RE: FLASH: First web site. Beta site test.
From: JGL
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 05:52:52 +0100

> The whole point of interactivity here is to fall in love with the
> user not the
> technology. I use a cable modem and it just sat there and sat
> there. How was I
> to know that I had to refresh? Found it quite by accident. by then i was
> feeling gnarly.

I don't think this was intentional on the developers part . . .

> > And if it won't run after a refresh, well... I won't go there.
> > Would that be a browser problem or a file problem?
> That's called Quality Control. TETOTOAFM

Hey, isn't that one of the points of this list, sort of a QC. Shouldn't
people learning Flash be allowed to use this list as Quality Check and not
get lambasted for errors? By the way, the above a common mistake in Flash
development, I think. The default in the goto frame action is set to goto
and stop. If you don't change that to goto and play, this can happen when
building preloader loops etc. Depending on exactly how the file was set up,
a refresh may skip the preloader (since it is loaded by then) and then play.
<small assumption on my part>

> > I like the general look and feel, the music, the fact that you
> can pick what
> > volume to play the music at... but I don't know what the site
> is all about.
> > Perhaps Tom said what he said because he doesn't see what the
> point is of it
> > all to have a basis for offering constructive criticism, a
> position I find
> > myself in to a degree. The only links that did anything were
> the news (none
> > that mattered) and the info - which showed nothing.
>
> Once I got in I was wondering about this myself. What's the
> point? It struck me
> as a bit of an in-class exercise and I see these every day. Lots
> of Flash. No
> substance. I am more concerned about the big picture than an
> exercise. If you
> have to explain the point - to anyone- you have missed the
> objective. If they
> have to ask you� now you have a real problem.

He said it was his first web site. jeez, I thought it was looking good for a
first attempt. I understand why people would get so far with a new
technology and want to test it, bounce it off us as a means to keep from
continuing to make mistakes that have to be undone - or worse case scrapped
and started over. Anyway, I think this forum IS more about discussing the
technology and how to make it work as opposed to design. Although design is
a critical element, I didn't join this list to learn design, I joined to
learn how to Flash - how to use the technology . . . And how else do we find
if it works on various platforms, browsers etc. without the potpourri of
that and the willingness of the kind souls we have available here?

jgl

flasher is generously supported by...