Subject: Re: FLASH:cable?
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 17:07:03 +0100

My experience with cable has been great speed at times (especially using
ftp, it blazes!) and terrible slow-downs at other times (would you believe
<1k/second?). You might luck out if your neighbors aren't Internet-types,
but for most areas served it's just a matter of time before the bandwidth
is too fragmented by local usage. The other big factor (probably already
mentioned here) is security -- without a firewall, your computer is just
another node on your neighbors' network, and very easy to crack, especially
since cable users are usually connected most of the time.

I was, however, disappointed to note the startup costs for DSL in my region
(Seattle, WA): $295 for the modem alone, and more bucks for the setup
(phone line testing and priming). End analysis for me: DSL is $5 more per
month, plus a $305 startup cost. BTW, the modem is a Cisco 675 and is
needed only if you intend to connect multiple computers to the DSL line.
Otherwise, an internal PCI modem suffices (at least for PC) and is less pricey.

At 07:11 AM 4/20/00 , you wrote:

>It does depend on the neighbourhood, but if you
>have a good neighbourhood (ie not a lot of techies
>on the block), you can blow DSL away with
>cable's bandwidth. I once attached a small 3 node
>LAN to my cable, and two of my friends and I
>played quake online at the same time with super
>low pings and no latency...and I've had download
>speeds up to 220 kbps in the wee hours of the
>morning.

>Gregg Caines
>n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
>http://www.neometrixsystems.com
>gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com
>

> > Remember though as you add more machines you will essentially be eating
>more
> > bandwidth. Also with Cable modem you share bandwidth with the rest of your
> > neighborhood. I would suggest DSL if it's available. I have Cable modem at
> > home and it's nothing that great.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media
http://www.dartfrogmedia.com