Subject: RE: FLASH:cable?
From: Eric Smollin
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:49:36 +0100

I'd have to agree. I have cable and I have experienced speeds of up 700k/s
all the way down to 1k/s. I average about 100k/s, which is certainly not
bad. At work I am on a T1 (there are approximately 100 people in my office)
and I get way better download speeds at home on cable than I do at work on
the T1. As far as upstream goes, my only measurement would be in Quake III
pings, of which I generally ping at about 45 (once again, not bad at all).

If you are going to get cable, I would definitely recommend getting a
firewall program such as zone alarm (http://www.zonelabs.com/). Since you
are always connected, you become extremely vulnerable. Also, always make
sure that you have File and Printer Sharing turned OFF under your network
settings!

Good Luck
-Eric-

> My experience with cable has been great speed at times (especially using
> ftp, it blazes!) and terrible slow-downs at other times (would you believe
> <1k/second?). You might luck out if your neighbors aren't Internet-types,
> but for most areas served it's just a matter of time before the bandwidth
> is too fragmented by local usage. The other big factor (probably already
> mentioned here) is security -- without a firewall, your computer is just
> another node on your neighbors' network, and very easy to crack,
especially
> since cable users are usually connected most of the time.
<snip>

flasher is generously supported by...