Subject: Re: FLASH: ADVANCED ACTIONSCRIPT : go frame 1
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:39:01 +0100

> In order to get a MC to have a recurring action (lets say 'actionX'), one
> must put 'actionX' in frame 1 of the MC, and in frame 2 a 'goto and play
> frame 1' action.
You don't really have to put a "goto" in, you know? MCs loop automatically.
You have to make sure you tell it when to stop, but you don't really have to
tell it when to play (as long as they aren't stopped.)

> This is clear. The question is, what is the effect in putting 'actionX' ALSO
> in frame 2, before the goto and play frame 1 action???
It does depend quite a bit on what you're doing as a recurring action. When
I was doing scaling, it seemed to me that it was smoother with the
actionscript in both frames. At 24fps, the difference in 1 frame of
movement, or two, was miniscule. Alpha never seems smooth to me, no matter
what I do (ok, I'm picky :)

> I ran my inital testing on a slow machine (PII 233), where this double call
> of the action seemed to slow the movie down ... however, on my faster PIII
> 500, the movie ran faster.
I have a really slow processor and cannot see any noticeable difference in
speed when playing a mc with the action in one or both frames. It does make
a difference what other draws there are on the processor. If I have flash
open, *everything* runs slower :) You could create both types in a small
movie, and use the bandwidth profiler to check.

hth,
Laura

flasher is generously supported by...