Subject: Re: FLASH: Bandwidth & Binaries
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 22:48:10 +0100

Hi Len.

At 10:44 AM 8/28/98 -0700, you wrote:
> I'm interested in raising the issue of binary attachments here. I
>suggest the bandwidth issue may be a non-issue for many (most?) of us, and
>there are many benefits particularly with respect to Flash.

Thanks for raising the issue, and welcome to the list. I do, however,
differ about the relative merits and inconveniences of attachments to
list-bound email.

I would not want to receive 50 flash files a day or watch my computer spin
its gears while they load. I use a modem and sometimes I need to do a
quick check for messages and don't want to wait through a bunch of
attachments. Another issue here is storage -- not so much hard disk space
(because they are small files) but just clutter which must be sorted
through and trashed.

FYI, There is a site for posting useful examples of Flash (would someone
please post this -- I lost the URL?). It is also possible to forward the
files upon request, or to load them on your web server for download by
others. I haven't used FTP to distribute files, but that's certainly an
option, too.

So, my vote is for keeping attachments off the list.

-Marc

Marc Hoffman
<marchofatjps [dot] net (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net)>