Subject: Re: FLASH: JPEG to Vector?
From: Joe Crawford
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 02:53:25 +0100

Ryan Scott wrote:

> I know the answer is probably no, but are there any utilities that will
> convert from a GIF or JPEG to a vector based format? If not, why don't you
> Macromedia guys develop one and do us all a HUGE favor.

Please re-read your Flash manual. Flash 2 introduced the "trace bitmap"
function, and it continues in Flash 3. Works like a charm, but keep in mind,
many images are ill suited to vectorization, and you have to understand when
vectors are appropriate, and when they are not.

This "trace bitmap" functionality is also available in other products:
Notably, Adobe Streamline
<http://www.adobe.com/prodindex/streamline/main.html>. I have heard that
certain versions of CorelDraw have this functionality as well, but in my work
as a contractor, I've never been overly impressed with CorelDraw (much
preferring Illustrator or Freehand for dealing with vectors).

So ... again, look in the online help for "trace bitmap" and you'll find all
you need to know for a *huge* favor.

Joe

Joe Crawford > ArtLung = Artist + Respiratory Therapist <