Subject: Re: FLASH: [OT] Text on a path w/ Photoshop possible???
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:41:19 +0100

At 1:05 PM 8/27/99, Nigel Randsley-Pena wrote:
>"...it (Fireworks) creates 'rich pixels' for web graphics..."
>
> Is that some special update of Fireworks ? Mine only creates
> normal pixels. I'd love some of those rich pixels...

heh... you're settin' me up here, ain'cha...? ;-)

"Rich pixels", "natural media", "real world brushes", "painterly
effects"... all are phrases for that type of look where the stroke is
richer than just a blob of color.

Fireworks comes with many preset brushstrokes... you can find these in the
menu of the Stroke Inspector. From this Inspector you can also change brush
basics like size, texture, antialiasing, texture amount, more.

But -- for the nerdy! -- try choosing "Edit Stroke" from the Stroke
Inspector's menu (or shortcut by doubleclicking the brush preview in that
window). This is where things get very interesting... you can set the
number of tips on an oil bristle brush, or control how widely apart dabs of
paint are spaced, or specify how quickly an airbrush or quill pen runs out
of ink, or whether faded marker pens "build up" on previous strokes like
real pens do.

Then switch over into the "Sensitivity" page and you've got complete
control over pressure-sensitive pens... the size of the brush can vary with
pressure, or the amount of ink applied vary with the speed, or you can make
brushes which change hue depending on the direction or speed of the
stroke... your tablet can exquisitely control the appearance of a brush on
the page.

And what's even more insane is that even this pressure-sensitivity remains
editable... with the "Pressure Scrubber" tool in the Tool Palette you can
change the pressure of a stroke even after it's been made. You can make
dabs or paint spread out along a path, or constrict, or change the
saturation along the stroke... everything remains editable, all the time,
so you can look at it and change your mind whenever you want. Can't do that
with real paints, or even with older pure-pixel computer painting tools.

With Photoshop's brushes you can pre-choose the shape of the brush, or its
density, size, color... Fireworks' brushes are much, much richer, and they
let you change your mind after you draw the stroke, even after you shut
down the computer or email the file. It's a different way of working...
more like Flash itself.

jd