Subject: Re: FLASH: Movie levels: Pardon
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 06:45:59 +0100

Hi Thomas,

> can i just say, dammit! I'm so lame...trying to figure out how to create an
> expression to auto-load my movies while ensuring they are on "current
> level+1"...well duh! when you load a movie into the same level where there's
> already a movie residing..it just REPLACES the movie.
OK first why are you using an expression to load movies. Normally, you
want to load one movie at a time. We will assume that load movie is
better suited than movie clips for now.

Take a simplified version of Flash Central (may not be current version).

We have a loader on level 0 that plays the opening animation and then
loads the Menu into Level 20. The Still Logo might be loaded to Level 10
to replace the end of the Logo on level zero which would be Parked in an
empty frame.

Then other movie might be loaded to levels 1-9 to be under the logo,
11-19 to be over the Logo. Further more if you do not want the logo to
appear at all you would move the movie on level ten to a frame that
would be completely empty (a Park frame).

Level0 - Loader and Beginning Animation
Level 1-9 - Movies that should be under both the Logo and the Menu.
Level 10 - Logo Standard Placement
Level 11-19 - Movies that are over Logo but under Menu
Level 20 - Menu
Level 21 up - Movies that will be above both Menu and Logo

Now normally you will have up to 3 movies visible at a time
The Menu (20)
The Logo (10)
The current content movie (others)

You would choose a movie in one of the three ranges depending on the
needs of the movie. If you load a movie you would park any other movies
you do not need to see.

If you want to cover the Menu in part so that something in the left part
of the image would fly over or appear on the Menu you would choose a
layer above level 20. But if instead you do not want to have the menu
appear you would not just want to cover the menu because the buttons
even if not seen will still be active, so the obvious choice is to move
the Menu movie to a blank Park frame to wait until it is needed again.

Ging every movie its own level and parking it after it is already is
loaded is the best and smoothest way to handle load movies.

The key to handling Load Movies and levels is to plan out everything in
advance and leave room for expansion in all sections. D'nt use Levels,
0,1,2 and 3. Use levels 1, 10, 20 and 30. You have 16000 levels to work
with so use them but plan it out based on th needs of your animation.

Whenever possible, try to concentrate control in one or two spots. Do't
load movies willy nilly as this is likely to lead to disorder and
confusion.