Subject: Re: FLASH: New Media OpEd pushes Flash- opinions?
From: Robert Koberg
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:46:04 +0100

Never put all your eggs in one basket! When you use a plugin you are at the
mercy of the compnay that makes the plugin. It is their proprietary
technology. They can do with it whatever the hell they please and you can't
do anything to change that (unless you rant really loud on listservs :).
What if someday MM decides to go after the market you are in? Whoops, they
already did that...

Flash is a tool. A good tool. But there would be alot empty space in your
toolbox if that was your only one.

Most IS/IT people would never let a plugin into their system.

> If this isn't too off-topic, I'd love to hear what Flashers think (as an
> admittedly biased source).
>
> What does Flash have that html doesn't (just list a few important things)?
> What do browsers have that Flash does not and/or will not have?
> Would the disappearance of html cause a serious change in the way we
> experience the web?

yea. it would not exist.

> If so, how are these changes good and how are they bad?

Flash is owned my macromedia who has shown repeatedly bad decision making.
HTML is not owned. It is governed by standards organizations (developers and
engineers not marketing pinheads).