Subject: Re: FLASH: HELP!!! I need some pricing advise!!!! ASAP!!!
From: Remik
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 19:47:35 +0100

I won't go into actual $ numbers, as it has been brought to my attention
that it is not 100% legal to recommend service fees in public - it may lead
to price fixing - but here's a few thoughts...

The answer is quite simple. Figure out how many hours it will take to do
everything you need to do, what it will take to maintain the web site on a
weekly basis, and then just multiply it by your hourly fee. Get a contract,
IN WRITING, with the client, which explains the services you will provide
and your understanding of what it will take to do on your part - including
time, expenses, etc. See if this is how they see it too, and adjust things
if necessary. Make sure you have a clause in the contract that says
something to the effect that if the maintenance time/requirements change and
they want you to do much more than originally agreed to, they pay additional
cost at whatever hourly rate you agree on. Make sure the weekly maintenance
is spelled out in the contract, what it will cover, and approximate
time/cost per month. The cost is your time times your hourly rate. I
cannot tell you what the hourly rate is, because it varies and depends on a
LOT of factors - your talents, how proficient you are with the different
tools, your knowledge, experience, etc. Charge the client the same hourly
rate for maintenance as you do for normal design. In other words, if you
can be making $X doing something else at the same time, then charge at least
$X for web maintenance too, otherwise why committ yourself to a long term
project if you are not going to make anything out of it. If you normally
charge $20/hour, that's your hourly rate for maintenance. If you charge
$100/hour, that's your hourly rate. It's all about perceived value. If the
client doesn't see value in spending more money on you, ie: "you are not
worth $100/hour, you are good but not THAT good", then you need to
re-evaluate your fees and see if you can come to an agreement and a mutually
agreeable price.

Hope this helps,

Remik