Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash5-BUG?? importing PNG Sequence
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:14:18 +0100

At 9:07 AM 8/29/0, Dave Broz wrote:
> .. when you try to import a png sequence it pops a Fireworks dialog
> "Fireworks PNG import settings" and the asks me to set the settings
> for every single image in the sequence.... which is a lot of button
> pushing for something that should be relatively automatic.... GRRRRRRRRRR!
> Is this the way it is supposed to work????

Hmm. That looks like a good catch. On my PC, when I imported a stream of
sequential PNGs saved out as "Export Special > Frames-to-Files" from
Fireworks 3, and then imported this series of bitmaps to Macromedia Flash 5
it did ask whether I wanted these Fireworks PNGs to come in as vector or
bitmaps, whether it should be flattened, whether text should remain
editable, etc.

It should only do this for saved Fireworks PNGs, rather than exported
PNGs... a saved PNG actually *has* editable text and objects within it,
while an exported PNG is just pixels.

I've dropped a note to wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com, asking that it recognize
exported PNGs as pure pixels and not ask whether text should remain
editable when brought into Macromedia Flash 5. In the meantime, if this
turns out to be a continuing hassle for you, you might consider exporting
that bitmap stream as GIF or JPG, which are well-known to not contain
editable text.

(Please be careful with the overall filesize, resolution-independence, and
streaming ability though... it's *possible* to use bitmap sequences well in
a SWF file, but if there are enough that clicking an OK button for each
import is a hassle, then it may be an unwieldy file to view too. You know
this situation better than I do, though.)

Thanks for the catch... I've forwarded it as a change request!

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list