Subject: Re: FLASH: Custom Cursor
From: John Dowdell
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 20:28:20 +0100

At 10:52 AM 8/29/0, David Wallach wrote:
> In this movie I cannot get tell target to work AT ALL, but of course
> in any flash 5 from scratch, it works fine. What gives?

You should expect to be able to update and continue editing on old movies.
Notes:

-- Please keep a backup! Saving as FLA5 will mean that the file can no
longer be opened in Macromedia Flash 4. Update a *copy* of the file,
keeping an archive version.

-- "tellTarget" is deprecated, and it's recommended to move over to
JavaScript-style direct addressing of objects. See the ActionScript
Dictionary entries for "tellTarget" and "with".

-- Particularly when starting the new environment, please carefully check
that your variables and object names are not reserved terms. Macromedia
Flash 5 has many more ActionScript terms, and if something is named using a
reserved word, then it can get very confusing. Example: Don't name a
variable "date" or "math"!
(The Macromedia Flash Player 5 has a special compatibility mode for old
SWFs where it will ignore new keywords... your old movies should work fine
in the new player, even if "date" is used as a target name.)

-- Some things which happened to work in the old version may no longer
work in the larger scripting environment... some of the files submitted
during the Player Public Beta had oddities such as properties named the
same as a clip, variables whose names started with a backslash (!),
improper use of .scroll functions... when troubleshooting a particular
balking case it's very useful to examine that individual content.

I'm sorry I can't tell from here what's different in that one movie you're
updating, Dave, but I do know that the normal case is that files can be
updated without incident. I hope the above relevant notes help, and if
there's another case that we can advise others about then that would be
greatly appreciated, thanks.

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list