Subject: Re: FLASH: Randomizing
From: mingo
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:53:34 GMT

Hi Russell,

At 12:38 PM 12/14/98 -0600, you wrote:
>When it rains it pours... (thanks for the suggestions/answers, JC!)
>
>Now, I'm also working on a screensaver, and they want the "main" background
>(initially hidden) to be randomized between 6 (I think) different screen
>shots. Is there a way to actually perform randomizing or to at least fake
>it in Flash?

Its possible to perform randomizing in Flash, but from wat I know it
requires some user interaction, so for Screensaver, I don't know whether
this can be done, as there won't be any user interaction involved right ?

The basic logic goes like this..
All you need to create a movie clip (call random) that contains different
graphics at each frame (say 6 different graphics in 6 frames), and then a
button to stop the movie clip (use tell target to stop 'random') when user
click on it. since the movie clip is always animating, user can get
different result each time he clicks the button. (See example at Smashing
Idea - Say Uncle Concentration Game =>
http://www.smashingideas.com/siaconcentration.htm)

I'm still testing whether this results can be obtained without the use of
buttons (that's user interaction)...Hmm...

adios,
mingo

*** Welcome ***
~ ah mingo digital garden ~