Subject: FLASH: Flash and Transparent Images
From: Ben Hemming
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 01:19:14 GMT

Hi there,
I'm currently in the process of ripping frames out of avis and anim gifs and
trying to move them into flash (via photoshop for some cleaning up, and
whatever other tools I need to rip the images from the avis/gifs to start
with)

The idea is that these frames (say 3 or 4 frames making up a little
animation)will then be combined with true flash animation on other layers
(for example a few frames of a person jiggling on a layer (from the images)
who will then be snared and pulled offscreen by a tenticle. Pretty simple
stuff, heres the problem:

the images do not trace (bitmap) well and thus I'd like to keep them as
bitmaps (saved as jpgs when flash exports them) however although flash does
support the importation of formats that support transparency/alpha
channeling (gif and png) it doesn't impliment it.

So all my images are simply inside big boxs of backdrop, dispite the
backdrop being invisible normally for those image formats.

(I am not explaining this well or consisely, I apologise..)

Am I mistaken or is there no easy solution here.. am I simpluy going to have
to trace the images so I can have objects on other layers going behind the
complex (ie non rectangular) objects?

Help!

Ben.

Ben Hemming ----- Multimedia Designer ----- Ph 9344 9395 -----