Subject: FLASH: PNG Alpha Channels and Darkness WAS: Flash and Transparent Images
From: Arlen Nielsen
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 18:09:11 GMT

I have noticed that Photoshop does an awful job at processing PNG images.
Especially when importing the file into Flash. Yes the image is definitely
darker, but there is hope. Equilibrium Debabelizer will convert a TIF with
an alpha channel to a PNG image that does not need to be corrected before
importing it into FLASH.

IF you correct the PNG image before importing it into flash within
photoshop, your image will not reflect the true colours and will look muddy.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Arlen Nielsen - Multimedia Designer
McAlpine Design Group - Strategic visual communication for business

Catch us on the web @ http://www.mdgnews.com
tel: 604.792.4053 fax: 604.792.3035

>the images do not trace (bitmap) well and thus I'd like to keep them as
>bitmaps (saved as jpgs when flash exports them) however although flash
does
>support the importation of formats that support transparency/alpha
>channeling (gif and png) it doesn't impliment it.
>
>So all my images are simply inside big boxs of backdrop, dispite the
>backdrop being invisible normally for those image formats.
>
>(I am not explaining this well or consisely, I apologise..)

When I first started playing with PNG I noticed this too going from
Photoshop to Flash, but I found that exporting PNG files from 3D Studio
Max into Flash it would support the Alpha Channel. After much head
scratching I figured out what was happening. Photoshop does not
automaticly turn the Alpha Channel on, so even if you export an PNG
image from photoshop with a transparent background, unless it has the
Alpha channel turned on, it will not come out as
Transparent/Translucent. So here is how you do it...

Make your photshop image, and float/Select the opaque part of the
object. (The quick and easy way is to hold down the CTRL key and click
on the layer to be selected in the layers menu) then go to the Channels
Menu and "Add Channel" This should default to "Alpha". The Alpha will
come out as black but the "Marching ants" selection should still stay
current. Fill that selection with White. Now Make your RGB Channel
visible again, export as a PNG file, import into Flash, and voila!

FWIW I have noticed that there is some sort of Gamma correction problem
between Flash and photoshop as PNG files from photoshop loose contrast
and get VERY dark, so you'll have to lighten it up and up the contrast a
little before exporting from photoshop. Hope this helps...

- -Adam