Subject: Re: FLASH: RE: Mike who?
From: David Gary
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 16:44:22 GMT

"Perrone, Micheal" wrote:

> Russell,
>
> Its funny YOU should ask. I think I actually sent
> MBT a resume last year while shuffling for a summer job.
> To think a could have solved your morph problem just last week!
> I'm orginally from Chicago. Sometimes companies look for
> talent and not just experience.

Ive never seen true "talent" without experience in _any_ art form.
The word "talent" itself is overated. Ive seen great artwork
painted on a t-shirt and sold for a mere couple of bucks. Ive also seen
somebody
wipe their ass on prepared canvas and sell it for hundreds of thousands.
Talent comes from experience. Companies look for talent from experienced
artists.

>Bringing the development in-house
>allows for closer relations with the marketing department

> and a much better feel for the company your trying to brand.
> While Pepsiworld will still remain Needham's account, this one man
> team will do just what you said, reduce spending on a medium PepsiCo is
> unsure just exactly how to use. I will launch these sites by tweaking the
> graphics
> done by Pepsi's Graphics Department...maintaining them
> is another issue.

Mike, I believe the responses to your post derive from experience in the
professional
graphics field. Ive never seen a case where an art director needed his art
department's
graphic's "tweaked" by an outside source. Ive have however seen ad agencies
hire freelance artists when their client is looking for a particular style.

> I'll be showcasing my work as time passes on.

Please do, Im curious to see your work. With your prior posts, I thought
you might already have plenty to show. I saw your site for the small pub/eatery.
Nice simple design
and easy navigation, I would still like to see any "Flash" work you've done. If
Pepsico and the other
huge marketing giants you mention are interested in you, you must be good.

I think you can understand the reason for some of the responses you've gotten.
How many times have we seen, "Hire me, Im an experienced artist/web designer
that knows HTML,
Java, JS, Photoshop, Premier, 3DMAX, Dir, bla, bla, bla,....with absolutely NO
work to show for
it clogging up the job opportunity NGs? -8>)

The web is a wonderful advertising tool for the people who can't afford high end
advertising campaigns,
but no matter how effectively they try to promote themselves, it will never
"make" them a professional in a particular field.
That only comes from _experience_.

This, of course, is my professional opinion.

-DG-