Subject: Re: FLASH: gif nightmare
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 19:34:37 GMT

At 11:08 AM 12/30/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi! I was wondering why my imported gifs get all chunky weird when
>seen in the browser or in Shockwave Player, but while composing it in
>flash, it looks ok. Is there anything I can do or is there an
>alternate way to do this? I just imported them and started moving them
>around.
>
>Jamie

Jamie:
GIFs and other bitmaps don't animate well in Flash. Vectors do. It is
best to use bitmaps only as static background elements, or to limit bitmap
tweening to small percentages of the monitor screen. Flash was designed
for vector art. If your gif is simple, Flash may be able to autotrace it
(if it is complex. the traced version may be as large or larger than the
original in terms of pixel complexity, so nothing is gained). Or you can
trace it by hand, which is often the best solution for optimizing an image
you want to animate. Also, make sure your AfterShock or html parameters
set the Quality to "High," not "Autohigh."

A question such as yours is best accompanied by a URL so we can see what is
going on graphically.

hope this helps.

Marc Hoffman