Subject: Re: FLASH: How do I import DXF files into FLASH?
From: John Foust
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 18:47:44 GMT

At 10:22 AM 12/7/99 -0000, Dino Micouris wrote:
>Can you help me with advice on importing DXF files into Flash?
>We are likely to receive huge 3d DXF files that we would like
>to reduce in complexity and import into Flash in 2d. Is there
>any good intermediate software to do this quickly, or is it a
>very time consuming job regardless of what you use?
>
>What limitations will Flash impose on me in terms of animation
>of complex vector lineart? Will this really slow the movie
>down? We want to simulate a spinning wireframe model of an
>object, and wish to import the original design DXF files
>into Flash where the 2d lineart could be manipulated to
>produce the desired effect.

It depends a great deal on the nature of the 3D data in the
DXF file, and how you want to represent it. First of all, there
is a tremendous range of types of polygon and poly-line data
possible in a DXF file. You'll need a tool to import DXF in
the fashion you need. 3D Studio Max will throw away all the
polylines and keep the polygons. Many illustration programs
throw away the polygons and keep the lines.

Next, how do you want to view that data in Flash? Just wireframes
of everything? Hidden-line-removed wireframe drawings? Or do you
expect unshaded polygons, giving everything a flat appearance?
What exactly do you mean by "reduce complexity"?

When it comes to speed, it seems you've answered your own question.
Yes, if there's a tremendous amount of data (whether it's rendered
as lines, shaded polygons, or animation "cel" look regions) it
will slow down Flash and increase file size.

- John

flasher is generously supported by...