Subject: FLASH: Changing a Movie clip with a button
From: HoebeeNYC
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 18:34:24 GMT

I resently posted a question about how to make a movie clip move( or change
in any way such as position, size, alpha...etc....while pressing on a button
and as I keep it pressed it continued moving (or changing)until the button
was released......this answer came back as this and it worked wonderfully:

"First of all, create a new movie clip and place in the first frame of it

your button.

Then create a new layer, and name it actions. Then add the following

actions to 3 consecutive frames in that layer.

frame 1:

STOP

frame 2:

Set Property ("/MC", Y Position) = _y - 5

frame 3:

goto and play frame 2

Finally add frames to the button layer so it exists for those 3 frames and

add the following actions to the button:

on press

play

end on

on release

goto and stop 1

end on"

NOW MY NEW QUESTION??? How do I create another button that reverses the same
action smoothly... I tried doing the same script simply changing the
position to +5.....and it still makes the clip move in the same direction...an
y help? do I need to put this other "return" button somewhere special? and
where do I put its actions layer?.....I'm lost....thanks in advance.....BOB
(sorry I'm a beginner....if you can spell it out... THANKS!!)

I did what you said and it works wonderfully.....

this( to remind you):The easiest way to do this is:

First of all, create a new movie clip and place in the first frame of it

your button.

Then create a new layer, and name it actions. Then add the following

actions to 3 consecutive frames in that layer.

frame 1:

STOP

frame 2:

Set Property ("/MC", Y Position) = _y - 5

frame 3:

goto and play frame 2

Finally add frames to the button layer so it exists for those 3 frames and

add the following actions to the button:

on press

play

end on

on release

goto and stop 1

end on

but now I'm trying to create another button that will do the opposite....move
the movie clip smoothly back....and I'm having trrouble

I put in another layer...added the other button to the first frame

then I put in another actions layer...... and did what you told me to do
except for in
frame 2 ,I put :Set Property ("/MC", Y Position) = _y +5
I then added the actions you described to THAT button....and the result is a
2nd button that moves the movie clip in the SAME direction as the first
button, rather than making it return.... cant figure this out..... hope you
can help.....THANKS AGAIN