Subject: Re: FLASH: x-mas song copyright
From: Alex Beckett
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 17:55:31 GMT

This "29.9 seconds" thing is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I
would like to know your source for that number. Think about how long 29.9
seconds actually is! I mean actually sit there and count out 30 seconds.
It's an eternity! To suggest that "Mix artists" (what exactly do you mean by
this anyways?) can legally take an entire portion of a song so long as it's
less than 30 seconds is way off. Copyright laws are very complex with
different conditions of the law for different types of uses, as well as
different types of payment (one-time fees vs. royalties). Do you think that
any musician who takes a recognizable part of another person's song doesn't
have to pay for it? You're kidding yourself if you do. Anyone who is worried
about musical copyrights, please don't listen to "Kilroy" or you might end
up in some very serious trouble...

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 10:20:22 -0600
> From: "Kilroy" <kilroyatradiks [dot] net>
> Subject: Re: FLASH: x-mas song copyright
>
> I always try to use the old samplers rule... ya know the one that Mix
> artists getaway with... 29.9 secs or less you can sample... anything over
> that and then your into copyright laws...... also there are some artists
> and albums out there strictly for this sort of stuff... music that has a
> roalty free stamp on in.... dont know if there is much christmas music
> though... personally, id just use old standard... like who was it...
> bing crosby singing white christmas? and then dont worry about it...
> I dont think anyone will really take up arms about it... I mean come on..
> Its a christmas card not an award winning comercial at the superbowl
> halftime.......
> anyway thats my opinion.... take it or drop it in a guttersome where and
> step on it heheheh:)
>
> ps. if your really worried and still want to use white christmas... find
4
> or 5 versions thru the ages.... start with the oldest and take a 29 sec
> bite... then fad in the next and so on...... so you have christmas thru
> the ages... a look back on the company and all while heading into 2000
> ect.. blah blah blah ... cheap cop out on the copyright laws... hehehhe

flasher is generously supported by...