Subject: FLASH: Tell Target Looping to Wait for Variable Loading
From: DeJarnett, Gary
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 23:51:38 GMT

Since not everyone is needing to load values into Flash, I hate to beat this
thing to death, but I�m having trouble getting Flash to hold up it�s
execution until my variables are loaded.

It shouldn�t be difficult, but here is what I�m doing. I have a variable
within my Library instance called FinishedLoading which is initialized to 0,
and set to 1 from my ASP page after all other variables have been loaded. I
also have an instance (called �Timer�) of a movie clip (called movTimeCount)
on my main movie which displays a clock with hands circling every time the
clip is played. Here are the frames of this movie:

Frame 1: Stop

Frame 2: labeled TimerRepeat

Frame 13: If (/Library:FinishedLoading = 0)
Go to and Play ("TimerRepeat")
End If

Whenever I am ready to load my ASP variables, I execute the following:

Set Variable: "/Library:FinishedLoading" = 0
Load Variables ("getProj.asp", "/Library", vars=POST)
Begin Tell Target ("/Timer")
Go to and Play ("TimerRepeat")
End Tell Target

The way I understand things, the code within my Tell Target should continue
to execute until all my variables are loaded, THEN proceed to the code after
the End Tell Target statement. That is not what is happening. I�ve
confirmed by trace statements that, even though the /Timer target is
executed, Flash keeps right on executing code after the End Tell Target
before the variables have had a chance to load. What am I missing or not
understanding here?

As always, thanks for your help. Maybe someday I can return the favor if I
can ever get this stuff down.

Gary (dejarnettatttu [dot] edu <dejarnettatttu [dot] edu (mailto:dejarnettatttu [dot] edu)> )

flasher is generously supported by...