Subject: FLASH: RE: Flash: OT (easier way to link database to website)
From: james
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 21:19:08 GMT

Cold Fusion might be easier for you to learn, but I
found ASP extremely easy to work with and get up and
running years ago as well. It's really up to you -
but check both of them out.

Anyway, with that expectation of records and
performing updates, queries, etc, you might want to
look at SQL Server 7 for the backend. MS Access might
be fine in the beginning but will soon have trouble,
run slowly, or even crash with that type of volume.

Other options would be a PHP/MySQL solution, but
again, depends on your background.

Compare each, visit their respective
newsgroups/mailing lists, and see for yourself. You
won't succeed if you aren't comfortable with the
language. You don't have to use what everyone else is
using - just use something you like.

Performance wise, they are very much the same each
having pros and cons.

Another suggestion, it might be worth hiring a DBA
(database administrator) or even an experienced web
programmer to at least get you started on the right
foot. Successfully creating speedy data-driven web
apps takes skill and experience.

Otherwise, your app will run slowly, may crash often,
or won't be useable thus making your efforts and web
site unsuccessful. You may have learned something,
but the site wasn't a success, which is probably the
ultimate goal.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck and feel free to send
further questions my way.

James

> Sorry for the off topic question.
> But this list is very helpful - thanks to all who
> have
> shared their skills & knowledge.
> I hope someone can help me with this one too.
>
> I need to make a database and connect it to website.
> The database would have about 100,000
> records/entries to
> startwith and will go beyond this. There would be a
> form on
> website to be filled up. Data filled in forms by
> user needs
> to be automatically
> updated in the database.
> Searches made by user needs to query the database
> and read
> the results.
> Any suggestions on which software to use for
> database and
> how to connect this to website are welcome. Please
> keep in
> mind that I do not have any database
> experience.....never
> done this before and I do not have any programming
> background. Please suggest softwares/tools with
> lesser
> learning curves.
> Books and links to tutorials would be greatly
> appreciated
> too.

flasher is generously supported by...