Subject: Re: FLASH: Sound Question (fast v. best)
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:25:15 GMT

Hi Christopher,

> > When compressed with mp3 try to use 16 or 20 kbs. The quality is
> > better than and use fast, not best, this is better for the internet,
> > best is for cd-rom.
> Umm... I thought the Faster/Better choice merely affected encoding
> speed, for the benefit of developers on low-end machines. Did this
> change in Flash 4 or am I just plain wrong?

Wrong. even though it takes longer to process Best quality this is not
what MP3 quality is about.

For the internet always use Fast and not Best for MP3 quality.
If the MP3 is to be played from a computer's hard drive you can use Best
without problems even on a slow computer.

In MP3 if you do not have enough space in the current byte to store the
details of a sound you can store it in spaces in future frames. The MP3
quality determines how far ahead in the MP3 file extra details can be
placed. So if you play a file with Best quality on the web and those
details have not been downloaded yet then there will be missing
information and distorted sound. Using Fast allows less details to be
stored ahead thus potential quality is not quite as high, but there is
less likelihood of missing info and distortion or clicks.

--
Co-author of Flash 4 Web Animation F/X and Design
Autographed copies now available - http://www.crownmall.com/Flash4/

flasher is generously supported by...