Subject: FLASH: OT - signal:noise, moderation
From: joe shoults
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 16:56:00 GMT

At http://www.onelist.com/community/FLASHmacromedia, we have a Flash list of
over 1000 subscribers and don't have this problem at all. The reason is
that we have a team of 4 moderators who are active on the list (they are
excellent!). We actually don't even have to step in, really, as people
(apparently, knock on wood!) police themselves when they know they are being
monitored.

I suggest that Sam either take a more active role here or "officially"
recruit some people to help him (I'm not talking about self-appointed list
police). Believe me, done right, being listowner can be a tremendously
time-consuming (and thankless) job, so I can certainly understand if:
a) he doesn't have time, or
b) he's become somewhat jaded (if that's the case).

Either way, this is one of the best, oldest/biggest Flash lists around, if
not THE oldest/biggest, and of course, with more volume, you'll have more
"random elements". This situation demands _active_ moderation. I don't
know if the mail program he uses allows for the assignation of moderator
status to individuals or not, but if it doesn't, he should switch to one
that does (onelist.com does). I know there would be no shortage of
volunteers here eager to help!

Sam, if you're reading this, feel free to contact me with any questions.
Onelist.com is a great resource, and other than them hosting it, you don't
lose any control over list functions; in fact, you gain many.

All the best,
Joe Shoults
FLASHmacromedia@onelist Listowner

flasher is generously supported by...