Subject: Re: FLASH: New Flash cartoon to check
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 17:34:47 GMT

At 04:37 AM 12/27/99 , you wrote:
> I wonder if someone might have
>some tricks for something like this that I could try for next time.
>
>http://www.web-host.net/~bmays/turnabout.html
>
>Takes about a minute to start playing on a 28.8 modem.

Looks very good, runs smoothly on my slowest test machine (P166). If it's
600k and takes a minute to load, sounds as if you're preloading the whole
thing. That's not necessary; figure out how much needs to preload so that
the rest is delivered by the time it is needed.

I see you reuse some symbols (clouds) but not sure how many others. The
drawing style doesn't lend itself well to using symbols (this is not a
criticism, just a note). If you found a typeface to give you that rough
hand-drawn look, and stuck to that plus your sans serif face, you'd save a
lot of bytes. Every thing that can be a symbol should be one, e.g. the
windows in the buildings. I think your drawings are pretty well optimized
for the style, but if you can smooth out any small details without losing
the feel, that will help, too. Select lines or fills and use either the
smooth tool or modify->curves->optimize to see the results, then undo if
not acceptable.
Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media. Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash work is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...