Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash Quiz Game assistance...
From: Suzanne Beane
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:32:37 GMT

Hi Wayne-

Are you talking about creating one flash 4.0 file with the 5 questions (a template file); setting up a random action in the quiz to pull from another Flash 4.0 file that contains all the 125 questions? If so, wouldn't you have to set up the template file with text fields and make them symbols in order to set up the randomized actions?
Does this make sense???

Wouldn't it be easier to pull the questions and answers from a text file into the Flash template file?

thanks for you help-

Suzanne

At 04:51 PM 12/28/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Suzanne,
>
>You can save yourself *a lot* of trouble and expense by simply
>building all the questions into the flash-4 file, and using the
>random function to pick the questions.
>
>Forget the server data base end, it's way overkill for this project,
>plus, a client file-only solution will work better anyway.  125
>questions can easily be handled by flash alone.  This doesn't need to
>be a server app. - way too much trouble, expense and hassle.
>
>If you're going to be changing the questions once in a while, just
>load them off a flat server file from the flash-4 app.
>
>Good luck!
>
>/wayne
>

>>I have a client that wants to use Flash to display a quiz. The Quiz
>>will need to use Flash to call on a database of some sort (text file
>>possibly?) to pull up to 5 different random questions picked from
>>125 possible questions. I am currently researching the best solution
>>for this, but would welcome any thoughts on the subject as it
>>regards to setting up the flash file.
>>
>>I am using Flash 4.0 and I am looking into Flash Generator 2 as a
>>possibility. However, I have limited knowledge of Flash Generator
>>currently. I have talked with some technical folks and have come to
>>the conclusion that I will need to research Flash 4.0 capatibities
>>with a database or text file before they could give me any other
>>assistance.
>>
>>I believe I want to set up the file using text fields but I also
>>want to animate the text fields in the quiz (i.e. possibly fading
>>the questions and answers in separately). The answers will vary as
>>far as which one would be correct (i.e. Question 1 answer would be A
>>and Question 2 answer would be D); hence, the questions would be
>>very random. I am not sure how to link the text fields to the
>>database. Can you make the text fields symbols in the library and
>>using "set variable" actions link to the database or text file???
>>
>>Any help on this would greatly be appreciated!
>>

>>Thanks-
>>

>>Suzanne
>
>Wayne Townsend
>waynetataccesson [dot] net
>Alt: waynetatabsolute [dot] net
>AccessOn.Net
>
>Whats New?
>Check out our latest Flash-4 "BingoTelevision" game at:
>-Companion site to the live Saturday TV broadcast from Palm Springs
>Television Studios.
>

>flasher is generously supported by...

suzanne beane chanesman
creative services

AppNet
306 N. Washington St.
Falls Church, VA 22046

phone:  703.534.7201 x:7313
fax:            703.538.6713
email:  suzanne [dot] beaneatappnet [dot] com
url: www.appnet.com
flasher is generously supported by... ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Streaming Media WEST '99 Conference & Exhibition "The Worlds largest Internet Audio & Video Event" December 7 - 9, San Jose Convention Center, California Reserve your space today at http://www.streamingmedia.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ To unsubscribe or change your list settings go to http://www.chinwag.com/flasher or email helpatchinwag [dot] com