Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: vbscript in Moock detect for Flash
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:54:20 GMT

Thanks for spotting that, Muzak. (Could've sworn I'd checked that
myself, but you were right -- and Gregg too, offlist, thanks -- the end
if syntax was wrong). But having fixed that, I encounter another weird
problem. I've tried to simplify it to the least possible code to show
the problem and would appreciate any suggestions about why I get the
strange results I do: I'm looking at just the detection for Flash in IE
when the Flash activex is disabled.

If I use one version of the code, it works fine. It's at
http://i-technica.com/flashdetect/detect_ie1a.html. With the activex
disabled (per Macromedia's instructions to make sure it really is
disabled), it tells me the actualVersion is 0 and pops up a gif as it
should.

The other version of the code, which I would've thought should produce
the same results is at
http://i-technica.com/flashdetect/detect_ie3a.html. With no activex,
this version tells me the actualVersion is 5 and then does the "Do you
want to install and run Flash 5.0?" prompt.

So my first question is why does the second version think Flash 5 is
installed?

Then, even more strangely, if I add lines to dump out the intermediate
variables flash5installed and flash3installed, I get runtime errors in
both versions saying flash5installed is undefined. (code located at
http://i-technica.com/flashdetect/detect_ie1.html and
http://i-technica.com/flashdetect/detect_ie3.html, respectively). If
anyone has looked at Moock's detection, you know about this
flash5installed variable. It is supposedly a global variable set to a
default value of false in javascript and later given a real value in a
vbscript routine, and then used to calculate actualVersion in another
javascript routine. How can flash5installed be undefined and
actualVersion not be?

So my second question is why is this value (flash5installed) undefined,
and if it is, how is that first routine ever working correctly? And how
does vbscript set a variable that was originally set in a javascript
routine anyway?

Sorry for such a long and complicated question. If anyone else out
there cares enough about detecting Flash in IE to take a look at the
source behind those pages, I'd appreciate any enlightenment.

Regards,
Helen
i-Technica � http://i-technica.com � 301.424.6037
developer resources: http://i-technica.com/whitestuff

Muzak wrote:

> document.write('end if \n');
> // end if, not endif

Register before November 10 and save �200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com