Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Rates
From: schaik
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 01:22:57 GMT

I totally agree with David Gary,

David Gary wrote:

.Sometimes a Rep is not the way to go, especially if your green or right
out of
> school. I'd advise
> anyone out of school to avoid signing with an agent. Go out on your own and
> freelance first. Get experience. Send your work into annuals. Get feedback
> from art
> directors. Spend the money and get your portfolio together and take out an
> ad in a illustration directory. You'll learn alot. Communicate with other
> illustrators.

I totally agree with you on this one David, I always say, don't think
about the money first.
Think about what you really want for yourself. And if you don't know
yet, find out
by experimenting a lot. Find out what your qualities are. You are free
to do what you want
and don't do what others expect you to do, but do what you expect from
your self.
Keep your own iditentity. And your work will be unique. Don't copy work
from others.
Do not make it easy for yourself and explore everything there is to
explore. Be a spunge.
The only money you need at first is for the roof over your head and for
the food.
Do not block yourself by having higly monthly cost. The only thing you
need is time to create.
I work for almost six years by my self now in the Netherlands as an
designer/illustrator and
saw a lot of guys and girls from scool doing work that they don't really
like and commercial
agencies, "but it pays well" they said. They are not happy and still
doing the same thing that
they did 5 years ago.

The girls and guys that I know that are really happy are the ones that
are free and working
as a freelancer or for themselves and giving themselves the time to
experiment with new stuff
and develop themselves and interact with other creative people.

The beautifull thing about our job is that it its moving all the time
and opening all new
possibilities. You can expose your work on the internet and the whole
world can be your audience.
Because of the digital work webdesigners make, it is possible to work
with clients all over the
world and work together with other designers and learn from each-other.

I know that a lot of people say, well thats something for the future,
you have to see each-other
in real life. I say its just a matter of time. Right now, with the ISDN
and internet I have
1/3 of my travelling expenses then i had before. I have more time now to
create, less cost and
be more productive. My clients know i work like this and for them
eventually it works faster too.

I hope i can help anyone with on there FLASH-journey in cyberspace.

Sorry about this long e-mail but i had to say it.

--
Greetings,

Joost van Schaik
Studio van Schaik
The Netherlands
http://www.schaik.net
schaikateuronet [dot] nl (mailto:schaikateuronet [dot] nl)