Subject: Re: FLASH: line/bar graphing utility
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 20:56:19 GMT

At 12:52 PM 2/11/99, alan dennis wrote:
> Does anyone know of a program/utility that programmatically produces
> flash movies/images from a delimited data file?

As Pete noted, Generator can do this, and more... see the Gallery on the
site and download a copy to test out for yourself. If you're not sure of
the number of datapoints then you may wish to prepare multiple templates...
not sure of which design may be best there.

Another approach is Director 7 and Shockwave. It can retrieve distant net
data and programmatically display parts of a Flash movie, or even use the
Flash rendering engine to display programmatically-determined curves.

(In essence, this is clientside pull of the data, and clientside processing
and display... Generator pushes new graphics out to clients, and is fully
server-side.)

Another option may be a new library from noted graphics research Paul
Haeberli. He's working on a C library which writes SWF files for display by
the Flash Player. More info at
http://reality.sgi.com/grafica/flash/
http://discuss.userland.com/msgReader$2737

Offlist email risks capture by the spam filters! I may not see your