Subject: RE: FLASH: Re: industry standard, was Site Check.
From: I am the Walrus
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 16:47:53 GMT

> Most of them think of plugin as a very nasty word.
> Where do the rest of you draw the line?

This is an issue that I've been dealing with as well. Recently I was asked
to develop a Flash site for a company I'm consulting. When the Project
Manager heard the words "plug-in" he abruptly removed me from the project
and decided that they would do it in house using GIF animations & java
menus. They spent 2 weeks solid with 5 guys working on it all day to get to
a beta stage for the client. The night before the beta was due, I took a
screen shot of what they had created home and threw together a Flash version
of their site in about 5 hours - with music, sound effects, animations etc.
The next day I brought it in and showed them a version of their site that
blew the java version away, cost 1/4 as much to build, and took up under
100k of space.

Needless to say, the Project Manager and company owner exclaimed "Phase 2!!"
when they saw my work. (much to the chagrin of the 5 guys who spent 2 weeks
fixing bugs in their java code)

The plug-in issue is a pain for the non-technical crowd. I try to arm
myself with as many facts as possible - including Flashzone's top 10 reasons
to use Flash - and hope for the best.

Paul