Subject: Re: FLASH: Ethics on this list
From: Antoine Valot
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 18:49:31 GMT

Roger Heath wrote:

> Reply to: Laura Mollett

[snip snip]

> Everything starts as an idea. <g>

Everything starts as an aphorism. <gg>

[snip snip]

> A method
> patent covers what you describe above whereby you use a particular
> formula or computer code to produce particular results. A structure
> patent is quite different. Here you are quite literally acquiring
> rights to actual physical structure of your invention, or idea.

Hey, Amazon has patented, as a "business idea", their "One click
shopping", and hold it up in court, even though they didn't invent it
themselves. So I'm going to go patent the "One click music toggle button
in Flash" and you guys will soon be paying me licensing fees up the
nose! Oh, and why don't I go patent the Preloader, the Back Button, and
the "On Release/Tell Target" piece of code! Ahaha! My fortune is done!

> L> Everything there, of course, is subject to the judge's interpretation
> Or a jury's interpretation.... <g>

Let's face it: It's a shark's world out there. If you have a truly great
idea, share it as much as you want with your pet rock, but don't tell a
breathing soul until you have their signature on a Non-Disclosure
Agreement drafted by Satan himself.

The truth is that the big money gets the big ideas, whether they buy
them or steal them (No, I didn't explicitly name Microsoft as an example
in that sentence!)

So find big money, make em sign an NDA, and sell your idea. Be careful
that they don't just offer to rent your brain, hire you: If it's the
idea they want, the lease on you might get real short-lived.

Anyway, if it's that big, you should work non-stop until you have enough
of a prototype to patent, copyright, and sell. Then go find a good
lawyer, and brace yourself.