Subject: Re: FLASH: If Frame Loaded / Preloader
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:40:10 GMT

At 04:17 AM 2/6/00 , you wrote:

>I have a site with a large introductory animation that streams and need only 3
>seconds to load the first frame to start the animation. Later on in the
>movie I
>have a form that the viewer can fill out and send to the server. The problem
>with that inorder to save the viewer from having to look at the intro all over
>again when he is redirected back to the index.html, I have included an "If
>Frame
>Loaded" action in the first frame of the movie to skip over the intro and go
>directly to a thank you page. Now the "If Frame Loaded" action causes the
>animation to need 13 seconds or more to load. Why does this one action cause
>such a large delay in loading?

Sounds as if you're reloading the html from the server. Even though the
.swf is still in cache, it takes time to re-establish the connection with
the server so that the browser can identify the content as something it
already has in cache. you should try to build this all into one movie so
you're never reloading the html page. One alternative is to have the form
pop up in a new browser window, so that when it is closed the movie is
still there. But I think you'll probably find a way just to do it all in
the timeline of the movie (you don't say if the form is within the Flash or
not).

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...